Homeowner Insurance Review


The standard homeowner (HO-3, Special Form) policy provides broad protection for your home however, there are limitations to coverage.

Section 1, Property Coverage, excludes coverage for loss resulting directly or indirectly from:  Ordinance or Law, Earth Movement, Water Damage, Power Failure, Neglect, War, Nuclear Hazard, and Intentional Loss.

The home insurance policy does not include property coverage for: Animals, Birds or Fish, Motorized Land Vehicles, Aircraft and Aircraft parts.

The policy has “special limits of liability” which in the event of a loss, the most the insurance company will pay: $200 on money, bank notes, bullion, gold, silver, platinum, coins and medals; $1,000 on securities, accounts, deeds, evidences of debt, letters of credit; $1,000 on watercraft; $1,000 on trailers not used with watercraft; $1,000 for loss by theft of jewelry, watches, furs, precious and semiprecious stones; $2,500 for loss by theft of silverware, silver-plated ware, goldware, etc.; $2,000 for loss by theft of firearms; $2,500 on property, on the residence premises used at any time or in any manner for any business purpose; $250 on property away from the residence premises used at any time in any manner for any business purpose.

With every home insurance renewal we include our Homeowner Renewal Checklist. We recommend you review and call us with any “yes” answers.

Homeowner Insurance Renewal Checklist:

  • Do you own jewelry, furs or watches with values over $1,000?
  • Do you own silverware with a total value of over $2,500?
  • Do you have a collection of valuables, including: coins, stamps or other?
  • Do you own any of the following: Musical Instruments, Fine Arts or Antiques, Camera Equipment, Sports Equipment, Personal Computer?
  • Do you own a boat?
  • Is there a trampoline on your property?
  • Do you have any tools, equipment or other property used in your business or occupation?
  • Would you like your insurance to provide: Replacement Cost Protection on your Dwelling, on your Personal Property, Credit Card/forgery protection, Ordinance or Law coverage, Earthquake coverage?
  • Flood is not a covered loss on a homeowner policy. Would you like to obtain rates for flood insurance? Also excluded from coverage are such things such as: rot, mold, mildew or animal/vermin/insect damage.
  • Are you interested in receiving information on:  Auto, Life, Excess Liability (Umbrella), Boat or Business Insurance?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *